How to become Lawyer in Australia

Becoming a lawyer in Australia

Before you can practise law in Australia you must first be admitted as a lawyer of the Supreme Court of an Australian State or Territory and then you must hold a practising certificate issued in an Australian jurisdiction. 

The Australian Bar Association is the national representative body for Australian barristers. It does not have any role in admission or practice matters.

Membership of the Australian Bar Association

Membership of the Australian Bar Association is only open to holders of Australian practising certificates who are also members of a State or Territory Bar Association.

The Australian Bar Association does not offer full or associate memberships to foreign legal practitioners.


Any queries regarding admission, including recognition of overseas qualifications, should be addressed to the admission authority in the State or Territory in which you wish to practise. The admission authorities are:

Australian Capital Territory: Legal Practitioners Admission Board

New South Wales: Legal Profession Admission Board

Northern Territory: The Legal Practitioners’ Admission Board

Queensland: Legal Practitioners Admissions Board

South Australia: South Australian Board of Examiners

Tasmania: Legal Profession Board of Tasmania

Victoria: Victorian Legal Admissions Board

Western Australia: Legal Practice Board of Western Australia

New Zealand Practitioners

Separate requirements apply to New Zealand practitioners by virtue of the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997 (Cth). Admission enquiries should be directed to the Supreme Court of the State or Territory in which you wish to practise.

Licence to Practice as a barrister or solicitor

Once admitted as a lawyer in Australia you must hold a practising certificate before you can practise law in any Australian jurisdiction. Different bodies issue practising certificates in different jurisdictions.

To obtain further information about applying for a practising certificate in a particular State or Territory please contact the relevant authority listed below.